After the much-attended preview, the collection is now about to move in. Follow here until the opening on 9 October, with a glimpse behind the scenes, as the art moves into the extension and learn everything about the architecture and sustainability in our film series.

A museum for art and the public

Together with the existing Kunsthaus, which is linked to the Chipperfield building by a passage running beneath Heimplatz, the new ensemble is the largest art museum in Switzerland. The area available for presenting art increases to a total of 11,500 m2. The enlarged Kunsthaus offers more the double the amount of public space. The central lobby, which is open to all, and the multi-purpose workshops provide space for interaction between art and the public and will enhance the scope for sharing and exchange. The shop and bar, ballroom and garden, all of which will be accessible outside museum hours, open the new Kunsthaus up to the city at large.

Vision, planning and construction

Extension film series

5 Videos

5 Min

tastende_lichter_small.jpg

Art and construction

3 Min

still-final.jpg

Architecture

3 Min

Nachhaltigkeit-still.png

Sustainability

3 Min

20200330_Episode02_Materialien.00_00_12_11.Standbild005.jpg

Materials

3 Min

20191023_Erweiterung_Lichtkonzept.Still2.jpg

Light concept

Countdown journal

Kunst-im-Bau-Erweiterung.jpg

The first artworks in the lobby, bar and garden

A number of works have spent months undergoing restoration to prepare them for presentation in their new permanent home. Alexander Calder’s mobile ‘Cinq blancs, un rouge’ (1972) in the lobby feels almost close enough to reach out and touch. Max Ernst’s mural ‘Pétales et jardin de la nymphe Ancholie’, which was painted in 1934 for the Corso Bar at Bellevue, is now the artistic centrepiece of the Chipperfield Bar. Robert Delauney’s ‘Formes cirulaires’ (1930) draws the eye towards the second floor, while ‘Grundstein’ (2014), donated by Urs Fischer, lies casually between the spaces.

More in the current issue of the Kunsthaus Magazine (in german)

Behind the scenes @kunsthauszuerich

Kunsthaussammlung-Erweiterung.jpg

The Kunsthaus Collection in the new extension

Half of the rooms in the existing building have been reorganized. Now Munch meets Baselitz, while the Egyptian artist Anna Boghiguian shares the domed room (previously formerly home to Böcklin) with Kader Attia. Between now and the opening, the Collection, most of it post-1960, will move into the extension. Dada gains its own exhibition space, as does Cy Twombly, while Hodler and Segantini as well as Monet’s water lilies will be heading across Heimplatz. Many more will follow to complement the private collections.

Kunsthaus collection

buehrle-2.png

Private collections: Bührle, Merzbacher and Looser

The collection of Emil Bührle, with its world-famous French paintings, is moving into the Kunsthaus. The artistic concept envisages displaying the more than 180 paintings and sculptures alongside works of Classical Modernism, thereby presenting visitors with an unbroken chronological sequence of artistic epochs. Werner Merzbacher shares his passion for art with the public in a feast of colour, the fruit of a long-term cooperation featuring key figures of Impressionism, the ‘Fauves’, ‘Brücke’ and ‘Blauer Reiter’, Futurists and Constructivists as well as more recent positions from Lohse to Rist. Last but not least, 70 selected works of Minimal Art, Arte Povera and Abstract Expressionism from the Looser Collection are a spectacular addition to the Kunsthaus’s holdings.

Private collections